Sunday 16 August 2009

Throttle return spring

The throttle handle on Lambrettas is returned to its stationary position by the slide return spring in the carb. In my opinion this is a big ask, and this became a problem when I fitted my new light switch. The cables for the switch were chunkier than the one I replaced, and I couldn't stop them interfering with the rotation of the throttle handle. It wasn't noticeable other than the throttle not returning when letting go, meaning a hairy moment when I forgot this on my first ride with the new switch.

To overcome this I fitted a spring from the end of the junction block to a nail inserted into the pin holding the nylon throttle wheel in place. The picture below shows the new switch wires and the spring in the foreground.



Not pretty to look at, but it works a treat, giving that extra bit of help to bring the throttle back to the closed position.

No comments: