Wednesday 12 November 2008

What's the plan?

This Lambretta is going to be used regularly, and will be kept out on the street due to lack of space. It is these two facts that dictate the type of restoration I'll be doing.

I'll be doing a full engine strip down and rebuild, with new bearings, clutch, guides and possibly chain. I'm considering a 185cc conversion so the bike can get me up the local steep hills. Also a 12V electronic conversion; I might look into Varitronic, and I might look into fitting a battery, which will improve lighting, the horn, and give me the option of fitting an alarm perhaps.

For the bodywork, I don't intend to replace anything. I'll be taking most of it back to metal, panel-beating any bent bits back into shape as best I can, and then respraying (possibly DIY), along with the frame and forks. I saw a restored S2 leave Fanatic last weekend and it was immaculate, as new; Most of the panels had been replaced. Anyone can throw money at new body panels, but this would be wasted on my Lambretta as it's going to be out on the streets and will no doubt suffer dents and scratches pretty quickly. My panels will look clean, tidy and nicely painted, but they will also look original, old and characterful, and I won't be too precious about them!

I'll be overhauling all the electrics and cables as you'd expect, and I'll be fitting a front disc brake too, which will give me more safety on the road, and provides a basis for further anti-theft measures using disc-locks and alarms.

I have no idea what order any of this will happen, but first I need to finish off a few bits around the house and prepare the shed for its new role as workshop.

Then the dismantling will start in earnest :)

No comments: