Wednesday 8 April 2009

ScootRS tubeless rims

Tubeless rims reduce (or do they eliminate?) the risk of a blow-out. A compelling reason, so I bought some from ScootRS in Vietnam. They arrived in good time and well packaged, although I got stung for an extra ten quid by Fedex for some kind of unpaid customs taxes.

The rims are nicely made, and if you read about them on the web you'll learn that they're popular, but are difficult for the tyre-fitter. This proved true for mine, and they didn't escape fully unscathed. If you're a perfectionist or you've bought some chrome ones you probably won't be happy, as you either won't want to or won't be able to touch up the near-inevitable marks.

Regardless of this, I think they're great, and with Schwalbe Weathermans on they look great too:





These 100/90 tyres are 10mm wider than the crappy old Indian tyres, and the differences in width, shape and footprint are neatly demonstrated below by my son Bill, who gets excited about literally anything with wheels and so a stack of wheels was a dream come true.



And in a state of my own excitement I couldn't resist offering up my hydraulic disc and hub unit. More on that in a future post...

No comments: