Saturday 4 April 2009

Welding on the new cross member

Removing the old cross member revealed a little more about the history of the frame. A crack can just be seen just beyond the end of one of the repair welds, and this shows that the frame suffered a collapse at some point which necessitated a full circumferential weld and strengthening plates to the upper and lower sides. You can see the crack arrowed in this image:



I bought a new cross member and borrowed a MIG welder to enable me to fit it in exactly the right place prior to taking it to the local welder who can do a better job finishing it than I.

To place it properly I used a scaffolder's spirit level (they are magnetic) placed on the engine mount to get the frame perfectly vertical. The lens of the camera makes everything look a bit skew here. It isn't - the engine mount is perpendicular to the frame:



I had to modify the cross member to cater for the existing stengthening plate and welds:



After careful measurement and multiple checks here it is welded on by the front edge only:



Then I ran a final panel placement mock-up to check that everything fitted. You can see here everything fits straight and as expected:





Now I just need to take it to a professional to finish it off for me.

No comments: