Thursday 26 March 2009

Frame problems

I knew things weren't quite straight on this scoot, but I thought this was limited to a sagging crossmember that might be bent back into place. Having removed the forks and now the legshields it has all become a little clearer:









They are off by a country mile, and I can't believe the legshields actually fitted. And they haven't bent, they've been welded like that:



There's also evidence that this might be two frames welded together. There are strengthening plates on the top and bottom of the tube (which apparently isn't that unusual), but there is a weld around the complete circumference of the main tube. Two bikes welded together would explain a lot - the early parts on a '77 scoot.

Whatever has happened, I know three things:

1. It's a mess, and I'll at least have to chop off the crossmembers and get new ones welded on properly. At the same time I'll get an expert welder's opinion on the main tube.
2. The frame is strong (and safe), as the bike has clearly been very heavily used over a long period on probably some shocking roads.
3. My key measurement from toolbox to steering cone is correct, and visually the main tube looks straight, but I'd still like to get this checked properly.

No comments: