Wednesday 25 March 2009

Headset / handlebar

Removing the headset is pretty straightforward, and the first step is to remove the headlamp. On an old bike, especially from India, you will probably find a complete mess:



One of the more difficult things was removing the old grips from the handlebars. I resorted to using a sturdy screwdriver and a hammer to chisel my way through, as WD40 simply didn't work. This pic shows the grip removed and my new black dog-leg lever fitted to the gear changer:



I went for this lever as it's a good match for my new hydraulic front brake lever, which you can see fitted here on my stripped down (but not cleaned!) headset:



Fitting this new hydraulic brake lever required some light filing on the tapered part of the handlebar. When re-fitting the throttle shaft I had some trouble getting it all to fit. I couldn't get the hole in the throttle wheel to line up with the hole on the end of the shaft. This must be because the new polished alloy switch housing for the new hydraulic lever is a couple of mm too long. The solution? File a couple of mm off the paddle that locates the other end of the shaft to move it all along a little:

No comments: