Friday 20 March 2009

Kick start shaft and lever

Fitting the shaft and its spring was pretty tricky. I started with the spring the wrong way first, and then realised the kinked end needs to go in the shaft. Fit the shaft fully (with shim, circlip and lever) prior to tackling the shaft guide, as then you can hold the pedal in a vice and rotate the casing to make installation of the guide easy.

I bought the shaft and the long bolt from Scooter Restorations, but the bolt they supplied wasn't long enough, even after squeezing the lever tight on to the shaft:



and so I resorted to my collection of stainless bolts inherited from my grandfather, who was a metalworker and coachbuilder. Here you can see one of my many pots of nuts and bolts, and a suitable one I found fitted to the shaft:



And here's the kick shaft and clutch cam installed. The kick shaft here is prior to some adjustment:

No comments: